|9 Months Ended|
Sep. 30, 2022
|Segment Reporting [Abstract]|
Note 17. Segment Information
The Company applies ASC 280, Segment Reporting, in determining its reportable segments. The Company has three reportable segments: Mining, Data Center Hosting, and Engineering. The guidance requires that segment disclosures present the measure(s) used by the CODM to decide how to allocate resources and for purposes of assessing such segments’ performance. The Company’s CODM is comprised of several members of its executive management team who use revenue and cost of revenues of our three reporting segments to assess the performance of the business of our reportable operating segments.
No operating segments have been aggregated to form the reportable segments. The Company does not allocate all assets to the reporting segments as these are managed on an entity-wide basis. Therefore, the Company does not separately disclose the total assets of its reportable operating segments.
The Mining segment generates revenue from the Bitcoin the Company earns through its mining activities. The Data Center Hosting segment generates revenue from long-term customer contracts for the provision/consumption of electricity, construction of infrastructure, operation of data centers and maintenance/management of computing capacity from the Company’s data center facility in Rockdale, Texas. The Engineering segment generates revenue through customer contracts for custom engineered electrical products.
The Data Center Hosting segment purchases custom engineered electrical products from the Engineering segment in the ordinary course of business. Effective January 1, 2022, the Mining segment entered into a colocation services agreement with the Data Center Hosting segment whereby the Mining segment is charged a base colocation fee per miner deployed at Whinstone plus a performance fee calculated as a percentage of gross mining profit. The revenue and cost of revenues from intersegment transactions have been eliminated in the consolidated statements of operations in accordance with U.S. GAAP. For purposes of segment reporting, the revenues and cost of revenues for each segment are presented in the table below on a stand-alone basis, with the intersegment eliminations presented separately, such that total revenue and total cost of revenues total to the consolidated statements of operations. All other revenues are from external customers. No single third-party customer or related group of third-party customers contributed 10% or more of the Company’s total consolidated revenue during the three and nine months ended September 30, 2022 and 2021. However, three customers accounted for nearly all of the Company’s third-party Data Center Hosting revenue.
For the three months ended September 30, 2022, approximately 98% of the Company’s mining revenue was generated from our Rockdale Facility in Rockdale, Texas, and the remaining 2% was generated from the Coinmint Facility. For the nine months ended September 30, 2022, approximately 71% of the Company’s mining revenue was generated from our Rockdale Facility in Rockdale, Texas, and the remaining 29% was generated from the Coinmint Facility in New York. During the nine months ended September 30, 2022, the Company terminated its agreement with Coinmint effective July 8, 2022.
The following table details revenue and cost of revenues for the Company’s reportable segments for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2022 and 2021, and reconciles to net income (loss) on the unaudited condensed consolidated statements of operations:
The entire disclosure for reporting segments including data and tables. Reportable segments include those that meet any of the following quantitative thresholds a) it's reported revenue, including sales to external customers and intersegment sales or transfers is 10 percent or more of the combined revenue, internal and external, of all operating segments b) the absolute amount of its reported profit or loss is 10 percent or more of the greater, in absolute amount of 1) the combined reported profit of all operating segments that did not report a loss or 2) the combined reported loss of all operating segments that did report a loss c) its assets are 10 percent or more of the combined assets of all operating segments.
Reference 1: http://www.xbrl.org/2003/role/disclosureRef