|12 Months Ended|
Dec. 31, 2021
|Segment Reporting [Abstract]|
Note 18. Segment Information
The Company applies ASC 280, Segment Reporting, in determining its reportable segments. The Company has three reportable segments: Mining, Hosting, and Engineering. The guidance requires that segment disclosures present the measure(s) used by the Chief Operating Decision Maker (“CODM”) to decide how to allocate resources and for purposes of assessing such segments’ performance. The Company’s CODM is comprised of several members of its executive management team who use revenue and cost of revenues of our three reporting segments to assess the performance of the business of our reportable operating segments.
No operating segments have been aggregated to form the reportable segments. The Company does not allocate all assets to the reporting segments as these are managed on an entity-wide basis. Therefore, the Company does not separately disclose the total assets of its reportable operating segments. $29.4 million of goodwill from the ESS Metron acquisition is allocated to our Engineering segment and $306.2 million of goodwill from the Whinstone Acquisition is allocated to our Hosting segment.
The Mining segment generates revenue from the cryptocurrency the Company earns through its mining activities. The Hosting segment generates revenue from long-term customer contracts for the provision/consumption of electricity, construction of infrastructure, operation of data centers and maintenance/management of computing capacity from the Company’s high performance data center facility in Rockdale, Texas. The Engineering segment generates revenue through customer contracts for custom engineered electrical products.
The Hosting segment purchases custom engineered electrical products from the Engineering segment in the ordinary course of business. The revenue and cost of revenues from intersegment transactions have been eliminated in the consolidated statements of operations in accordance with US GAAP. For purposes of segment reporting, the revenues and cost of revenues for each segment are presented in the table below on a stand-alone basis, with the intersegment eliminations presented separately, such that total revenue and total cost of revenue total to the consolidated statements of operations. All other revenues are from external customers. No single customer or related group of customers contributed 10% or more of the Company’s total revenue during the years ended December 31, 2021, 2020 and 2019. However, two customers accounted for approximately 97% of the Company’s Hosting revenue.
For the year ended December 31, 2021, approximately 75% of the Company’s Mining revenue was generated from the Coinmint Facility in New York, and the remaining 25% was generated from our Whinstone Facility in Rockdale, Texas.
The following table details revenue and cost of revenues for the Company’s reportable segments for the years ended December 31, 2021, 2020 and 2019, and reconciles to net income (loss) in the consolidated statements of operations (in thousands):
No definition available.
The entire disclosure for reporting segments including data and tables. Reportable segments include those that meet any of the following quantitative thresholds a) it's reported revenue, including sales to external customers and intersegment sales or transfers is 10 percent or more of the combined revenue, internal and external, of all operating segments b) the absolute amount of its reported profit or loss is 10 percent or more of the greater, in absolute amount of 1) the combined reported profit of all operating segments that did not report a loss or 2) the combined reported loss of all operating segments that did report a loss c) its assets are 10 percent or more of the combined assets of all operating segments.
Reference 1: http://www.xbrl.org/2003/role/disclosureRef